Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices Trackers for large multi-screen setups

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Casey
    Participant

I’m in the market for an eye-tracking system that would hopefully be used in academic studies of a very large multi-screen desktop computer setup (think ~6 screens, laid out in a 3×2 grid).

An additional potential wrinkle regarding this setup: not all of the screens will be for the same computer- some will simply display live video feeds, with no interaction with the primary computer.

I’m struggling to find an easy-to-use eye tracking system that is feasible for my purposes. I would much prefer a screen-based system, but I understand that most screen-based eye trackers are meant for a single screen and I’d rather not buy ~6 separate systems. Meanwhile, a head-mounted system would definitely work for my setup, but I understand that performing data analysis would be far more complicated for such a system.

Any advice? Should I just bite the bullet and go for a head-mounted system, is there some magical screen-based solution out there for me?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @spacey, thanks for your query. From the setup you describe, I would suggest you look at the Tobii Pro range of eye trackers.

The entry level product is the X2-30 who product page is @ https://www.tobiipro.com/product-listing/tobii-pro-x2-30/

This Tobii Pro range of trackers allow you to run eye tracking over a customised or non-standard stimulus size. You can read more about the particulars of this @ https://www.tobiipro.com/learn-and-support/learn/steps-in-an-eye-tracking-study/setup/using-the-x-configuration-tool/

As you mentioned, you would be conducting marketing studies, and such use is not permitted with the Tobii Tech Range of Trackers (4c, EyeX) without the purchase of a special licence and these trackers do not support multiple monitors or customised layouts.

For further information regarding pricing about Tobii Pro Products and services, please contact the sales team: https://www.tobiipro.com/contact/sales/

Any other questions, please let us know.

Casey
    Participant

Thanks Grant!

Some additional questions:

Is there a maximum area that the X2-30 will be able accurately track? My screen setup is approximately 75in x 45in in total and is meant to be operated by the test subject up close, like a normal desktop setup.
    How much eye tracking accuracy can I expect for this setup?
    Will there be an outer limit/”dead zone” along the outer edges of the outside screens where the eye trackers aren’t able to record data?

What is the Tobii analysis software’s capabilities as far as overlaying the collected data with the images being shown on-screen? I assume this is something that would have to be done in post-processing and couldn’t be done automatically.

How would calibration work for this setup? I’ve had a previous experience with Tobii eye trackers, which was confined to a standard-single screen setup- would it be as simple as calibrating on a single screen before beginning testing?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @spacey, the larger the presentation screen, the further away this will need to be from the eye tracker to allow the full range (angle box) of gaze data to be captured which of course will necessarily impact the accuracy of the data.

There will be a dead zone of sorts beyond the trackable range, but this will depend quite specifically on the angles, distances, etc of your overall setup.

In terms of the Tobii Analysis Software capabilities to overlay multiple user data, indeed that is a common feature and one that is well supported so minimal effort is required on the users part to achieve this.

However, given the specific and customised nature of your setup and the need to establish ahead of time the right hardware and environment for your needs, please contact Tobii Pro Support directly @ https://www.tobiipro.com/help/ and they should be able to guide you from experimental design up to the final sale.

I have already informed them of your case, so you should receive a reply promptly. Thanks for your understanding.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.