Home Forums Software Development User presence with one eye

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I think this is a bug, or at least unexpected and undesirable behaviour. When I run the Unity sample “03_UserPresenceAndHeadPose” I observe the following behaviour:

– I close both my eyes:
    – gaze tracking stops (expected)
    – user presence returns false (expected).
    – I then open one eye:
    – gaze tracking resumes (expected)
    – user presence continues to return false (*unexpected*)
    – I open the second eye:
    – gaze tracking continues (expected)
    – user presence returns true (expected)
    – I close one eye:
    – gaze tracking continues (expected)
    – user presence returns true (expected, but inconsistent with the above).

This has a significant impact on games that use User Presence as a prerequisite for eye control. For instance Mindball Play won’t let you control the ball with one eye after tracking is temporarily lost. This meant the game didn’t work very well for my grandmother who has cataracts and couldn’t get reliably get both eyes tracking. In comparison, she had no problem playing Minecraft with EyeMine, because it doesn’t use User Presence at all, and most of the time at least one eye was being tracked okay.

I’m using an EyeX.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @lazyemu, sorry to hear about your issues. We have been unable to reproduce the issue unfortunately but it might be worth having a look at your environmental setup. For example, try to ensure there are no sources of infrared light such as open window or spotlight near the eye tracker.

IF you have programming experience, you could try to see if the presence variable is similarly affected on another sdk such as Core SDK or Interaction Library API.

Unfortuntely, as the Unity for Desktop API is no longer actively developed, there is little we can provide to resolve the issue from a SW point of view.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @lazyemu, I was wondering if there has been any progress in your situation since our last communication? Thanks for any pertinent updates.

Hongbin Zou
    Participant

@kmcnaught /I believe the “User presence” status just indicates if Tobii API can detect your face (or not), it’s totally irrelavant to eye gaze status. Just keep both your eyes closed and leave/return to your computer several times and you will see.
    So, the root of your problem may actually be how you close your eyes. Maybe a wink, or you used a finger to help, but they all can be hard for Tobii’s algorithm to detect your face.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.