Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices An Idea for Mounting on Curved Ultrawide Monitors

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    syclonix
    Participant

I have an 35″ curved ultrawide monitor and I am thinking of purchasing the Tobii Eye Tracker 4C. I know it doesn’t officially support this size, but I’ve read it works well enough if the eye tracker is mounted at the right distance.

Since the Eye Tracker 4C doesn’t support curved monitors out of the box I had two mounting ideas:
    1. Use two magnetic swivel phone mounts directly onto the monitor bezel like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Magnet-Holder-Dashboard-Magnetic-Smartphones/dp/B06XCRZZTW/
    2. Use a free-standing magnetic phone mount with adjustable neck like this one: https://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-MAGWSM2-MagicMount-Universal-Magnetic/dp/B00I608BHU/

Can anyone provide feedback if either option would work well? Note that the Option #1 the mounts would push the Eye Tracker a few inches forward.

I’m also wondering if the height of the monitor is adjusted, does the position of the eye trackers need to be adjusted too? If it does, it seems like Option #2 would be better since the eye tracker would be in a fixed position regardless of monitor height.

Alex [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi @syclonix !

The easiest is glue and L-shaped aluminum profile to the bottom of the monitor.
    That would give you a flat front-facing surface to mount magnetic strip and the tracker on it.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @syclonix, thanks for your suggestion…much appreciated! It may be of interest to you to read another forum thread on this topic @ https://developer.tobii.com/community/forums/topic/ultrawide-monitors/

Wherein a number of other users have proposed successful workarounds that may be relevant for your situation, so I would encourage you to check it out and let us know what you think. As you will see, most of the implementations are based similarly to your second suggestion of a free-standing mount.

In any event, as you pointed out, this kind of setup is still not officially supported so we cannot recommend it, but if you do indeed manage to setup your eye tracking device well with your monitor, feel free to pass along the details!

Also, you are correct that if the monitor height is adjusted then (Assuming the eye tracker is not mounted to the screen) you would need to readjust the free-standing mount also accordingly.

syclonix
    Participant

Thank you for the answers Grant and Alex. I will try those solutions.

I saw the news that the new Tobii IS5 has been announced, does this mean we’ll get a new iteration of the Tobii Eye Tracker 4C soon? And if so will it support larger monitors natively?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @syclonix, ok great, please let us know how you get on implementing these workarounds, would be great to hear your feedback!

Regarding the IS5, certainly as some point in the future, we can expect a newer model to replace the 4C, but for the time being, we cannot confirm which screen sizes will be supported by the new hardware.

Any other questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Yuri Iliaev
    Participant

I just did something without aluminium but rather plastic claps and some 3M tape.
    Took a plastic claps out of a receway (you can find it probably at any home depot), sanded them and painted them in black (they were white and doesen’t fit my color scheme).
    Used an 3M tape to stick the 4C to the claps and 3M tape to stick it under my PG348Q.
    Works with no issues at all.
    Uploaded some pics to imgur:

View post on imgur.com

OP and other folks with ultrawides hope this info will help you ๐Ÿ™‚

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @svid, awesome! We really like your innovative approach indeed ๐Ÿ™‚

How are you finding the accuracy in the extremities of the screen corner? You can improve and test calibration via the Tobii System tray icon, click on your profile, then ‘improve calibration accuracy’

Also, if you happened to have a close-up pic of the plastic clips, might be handy… thanks again for sharing!

Alex [Tobii]
    Participant
    Original Carrot
    Participant

is tobii planning on doing anything about this? nearly every gamer out there has at least one curved monitor on their desktop…..

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Thanks for your input @meshane2. I will pass your suggestions along to the team for consideration to see if we can supply directly a suitable mounting bracket for curved monitors. Hopefully, in the meantime, some of the workaround solutions posted on the forum can be of help to you.

Original Carrot
    Participant

so, i see the new 5 has a mount that works with curved monitors, are you guys planning on perhaps selling those mounts for those of us who purchased earlier versions?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @meshane2, if you could kindly raise a ticket about requesting the curved monitor mount directly with Tobii Tech @ https://help.tobii.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

they should be able to arrange a sales order for you and send it over! ๐Ÿ™‚ Best Wishes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.