Home Forums Software Development robotics project

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lu Ros
    Participant

Hi, I’m a student trying to use a 4C tracker to control a drone using the user’s gaze. I am using python and was able to connect to the tracker using your documentation but I can’t access the gaze data. Is there any example/tutorial that explains how to do this? Thanks in advance.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @ozopled, I assume you are trying to use the 4C in conjunction with the Tobii Pro SDK Python Bindings?

I am afraid that do this, you need to purchase the special analytical use licence and a provided unlock file that will allow the Pro SDK to read data from the 4C.

To request a quote, please contact Tobii Pro Sales @ https://www.tobiipro.com/contact/sales/

The Tobii Interaction API however (https://developer.tobii.com/consumer-eye-trackers-interaction-library/) is free to use as is the
    Unreal Engine SDK and Core SDK.

Apologies for any inconvenience and thanks for your understanding.

Lu Ros
    Participant

Ok. I think your company has a communication problem. I actually did what you suggest, and because I am at the moment in Hong Kong they replied from your Shanghai office (in Chinese, which I had to translate) saying they can’t sell licenses in China.

I replied and try to explain in am not doing this for the Chinese market, in fact I am not doing it for any market at all, I am just a student that purchased a 4C tracker and wants to use it for a robotics project, in python, and then they replied: “If you just want to use 4C to control robots, then you don’t need our upgrade key and SDK. Please contact the technical person from where you bought. Our SDK is different from 4C.” – but I bought this from your website, therefore I feel like I am trapped in a space-time loop, having purchased a not so cheap peripheral with the hope to use it’s SDK for a hobby project and not being able to do it.

Can you please advice what I can do? Should I return it?

Hongbin Zou
    Participant

It’s easy. Forget python, install Visual Studio 2019, and use the C#/C++ SDK instead. Docs are here:

Consumer Eye Trackers

When it comes to games/entertainment, Microsoft still rocks.

Lu Ros
    Participant

Hi Hongbin, I will look into it. The rest of the project uses Python but I’m sure I can find a way to send the data from tracker via the C#/C++ SDK. Perhaps I could even use Unity as a “middleman”. Thanks for your suggestion!

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @ozopled, apologies for the confusion. Within China, there are greater restrictions on the licencing model. However, if you are content to develop for interaction purpose then you are free to use the C# SDK We provide either as the Stream Engine API or Interaction Library API, although the stream engine would seem to be the most appropriate for your needs. So long as you do not intend to store the gaze data or use it for analysis, then no additional licence needs to be purchased. The requirement was, however, necessary to use the Python API of the Pro SDK.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.