Home Forums Feature Requests Dual Screen / Multi Screen support

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Rich
    Participant

Hi All,

I cant seem to find anything in the docs regarding multi monitor support. Could this be added in if not already available?

If it is where did I miss it?

Many Thanks,
    Rich.

Anders
    Participant

Hi Rich,
    are you thinking of the case where there is one tracker on each screen? Or one tracker covering multiple screens?

Rich
    Participant

Hey Anders,

Is there any scope to get a wide angle resolution sensor in there. I’m not sure if that is the correct way you have the hardware setup. Or what type of hardware you have in there at all right now. As I’ve only just seen this a few days ago and not having a chance to thoroughly read any hardware reference documents or specs.

It would be great to have it all combined into one unit if not possible then:

Perhaps a main unit and a secondary unit connected to the main with a high-speed data cable, a remote sensor type situation.

Failing that idea two desperate units…

would it help in processing time with an added CPU in the situation by linking them to each other wired or wirelessly? Woult it drop overall performance due to increased data.

Apologies if any of this sounds like complete garbage. I’m just a software guy.

Cheers,
    Rich.

Nick Husby
    Participant

I second the request for dual display support. I have not recieved my EyeX yet, but I always work with dual displays, and I’m not sure if I could work without them without going insane.

One controller monitoring two displays would be nice, but I doubt that would work well, unless the displays were mounted side by side and completely parallel to one another, with the controller centered at the bottom. That way they would make one flat plane.

The next question is, would the controller be able to pick up gaze at the far ends?

Anders
    Participant

Hi Rich, Nick,
    with the current technology you would have to use one eye tracker on each screen. It’s not possible to cover the combined width of two screens with a single tracker.

I was just curious to know how your screens are set up… and I totally agree that you need the eye tracking to work on the entire desktop, not just one of the screens. I hope that we will support that in the not-too-distant future.

Rich
    Participant

In most cases (we have an office here of approx 120 staff members and each of them have 2 screens sometimes 3) the screens are either;-

1) on a non OEM desk clamp (dual or triple)
    2) on their OEM stands placed on the desk

In all cases screens are pointed inwards facing the user and not parallel with each other. Both screens are 22-24in monitors running at 1920 x 1080 each.

Does the software currently allow for this? Or will you be planning a “wide FOV” version.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Rich.

Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi Rich,

The current EyeX software supports only one connected eye tracker at the time. But, as Anders, I hope that we will support one eye tracker per monitor in the not-too-distant future. We are currently working on supporting screens up to 27″.

Mark Miller
    Participant

I want to add my voice to this request (support for multiple monitors through multiple EyeX devices mounted on each monitor). Looking away from the EyeX monitor over to the normal monitor results in a noticeable drop in happiness.

Sean Doyle
    Participant

I’m also interested in multiple monitor support. I would be happy to put a device on the bottom of each monitor. Currently there are a maximum of four monitors for some users at my site (a radiology department). Sometimes the monitors are in a single plane; other times the two outside monitors are angled in slightly.

Sage
    Participant

I’d also like to see support for Dual/Multi-Monitor support!

Rich
    Participant

Hi All,

I’m glad to see I’m not alone on multi screen support!

@anders
    @jenny Has there been any progress on this feature request? Is it feasible?
    I’m keen to get hold of a few units!

Many thanks,
    Rich.

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your voices. I have mentioned your use cases to the product management team. However, since we have a big focus on PC gaming at the moment due to our collaboration with SteelSeries, there are many other things that are more important than multi-monitor support. (since most games just use one screen)

If/when we switch focus to a more general desktop solution, this priority might change. But at the moment, we are not working on multi-monitor support actively.

Sean Doyle
    Participant

Keeping focus is very important (I’ve worked in a few startups). Hope it works out well.

If you focus on medical applications in the future – in radiology there are often multiple monitors. Often they are not identical in size and they are angled around a user horizontally (so your vision is straight into the monitor when you swivel around in your chair) but I have seen some vertical orientations in crowded suites. Since I work at a teaching hospital there are also multiple people looking at the monitor at the same time.

In the short run I’ll have to hack something. Not sure yet what makes sense – perhaps using multiple PCs hooked up to other screens or looking at the Android SDK to see if I can get it to work with the Raspberry Pi.

Thanks

Sean

Ben
    Participant

I would also be happy if you would support dual/multi monitor setup asap. Supporting gaming is important, desktop will be the future 😉

Petro Samoshkin
    Participant

I vote for support multi-monitors too. But, is it possible to add a hotkey for display switch feature, available currently. So, I will be able to move eye tracker to another screen faster(if i will going to work on this screen long time).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.