[Solved] Android text relocation error with API >22

Home Forums Software Development [Solved] Android text relocation error with API >22

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Britt Yazel
    Participant

Hello Tobii Developers,

I am building an app for my thesis work that uses your SDK, however I have run into a bug in your software. When I compile my app with the API set to 22 or lower I get this warning “has text relocations. this is wasting memory and prevents security hardening. please fix.” Which is with regards to the libtobiigazecore-jni.so library file.

To make things worse, when I compile the app for api >22, aka for Android 6.0.1 “Marshmallow” the device no longer warns about the above issue, but actually throws an error. Which is due to a change documented here:
    http://developer.android.com/about/versions/marshmallow/android-6.0-changes.html
    “On previous versions of Android, if your app requested the system to load a shared library with text relocations, the system displayed a warning but still allowed the library to be loaded. Beginning in this release, the system rejects this library if your app’s target SDK version is 23 or higher.”

Now, I don’t have access to the source code of this library to fix the issue, so I am kind of at your mercy. I really need to be able to compile my project to work with API 23 and greater in order to gain advantage of much of Android’s audio latency work.

Can you guys please fix this issue in your library and provide me with the new .so file, or give me the source for the library to fix myself?

Thank you very much!

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @brittyazel,

Unfortunately neither the Gaze SDK nor the EyeX SDK has support for the Android platform, so I am not sure If we can track down the cause of your issue.

That being said, if you could kindly provide some more detail with regard to the SDK version you are using along with the associated Tobii software version, I will see what kind of feedback we can provide.

Britt Yazel
    Participant

Umm, what do you mean the Gaze SDK has no support for the Android Platform? I am using it with the Android platform, and there is even android platform code compiled to run with it. You even include working Android prototype example apps that make use of the eye tracker. Here:

For your information: I am using the Java API version 1.0 for Android, downloaded from the Tobii website here:

The tobii software version is the example code bundled with this API, and moreso the custom code that I have written to make use of the eye tracker.

Regardless, none of this has to do with the heart of my request, which is that the binary files included in the Java 1.0 API for android are compiled against old versions of Android and do not conform to a change made to the Android runtime that doesn’t allow for “Text Relocations” any longer. My request was that you folks please please please edit the source code of this binary to solve this problem, or give us the source code to fix it ourselves. As it is now, we cannot compile our app to work with newer versions of Android (6.0+).

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @brittyazel,

My apologies, I mispoke in the previous post. I meant to say that the EyeX SDK is intended as the replacement for Gaze SDK and unfortunately we no longer support Android in the EyeX SDK and the Gaze SDK is no longer maintained or supported.

Ultimately, what this means is that you will need to work with older versions of Android to keep your software running.

Britt Yazel
    Participant

Well that sucks. The only reason I bought your Tobii REX 1 year ago was for your android support in the Gaze sdk, and you guys promised me that it would be a worthwhile purchase. Now I feel lied to, and honestly without up to date support, your device is useless to me.

Can you release to me the source code at least? I understand you not wanting to support the Gaze SDK, but without the source code to fix your errors, I am dead in the water.

And if that is not an option, please direct me to whomever I can express my dissatisfaction and with whom can address the lie that your sales department sold to me.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @brittyazel,

Yes, I understand your frustration.. Could you kindly let me know exactly what source you are looking to get your hands on and I will see what I can do for you.

Britt Yazel
    Participant

The code would be the C/C++ used to build the libtobiigazecore-jni.so file, which is found as part of the (now deprecated) gaze SDK.

Thank you for your help!

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @brittyazel, one of our support technicians will contact you directly on how to proceed.

Britt Yazel
    Participant

Hello, could either of you provide me with the USB-HID driver that you guys have removed from your website?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @brittyazel, I will send this directly to your personal email as this is something we no longer provide publicly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.